Generously Serves 4
- 1 Store-bought pound cake
- 2 large eggs + another egg YOLK
- 1/2 cup sugar + 3 tablespoons more sugar
- Coarse salt (I use Kosher salt)
- 2 pints strawberries, hulled and halved, plus 4 whole strawberries, thinly slices crosswise for the garnish (or use raspberries)
- 1 teaspoon freshly squeezed lemon juice (NEVER from a jar)
- 1/4 cup heavy cream (regular milk will not work here)
- Confectioners’ sugar, for dusting (also known as Powder sugar or Fine sugar)
1. Slice the pound cake crosswise into four 1/4-inch-thick slices, reserving any remaining pound cake for another use. Insert a 3-inch heart-shaped mold (I used a cookie-cutter) into each slice and remove any of the cake that remains around the outer edge of the cutter. Transfer cutters, with cake in the bottom to a parchment paper-lined baking sheet; set aside.
2. Fill a medium saucepan with about 2 inches of water and bring to a boil; reduce to a simmer. In the heatproof bowl of an electric mixer, combine the eggs, yolk, 3 tablespoons sugar, and a pinch of salt. Set bowl over, but not touching, simmering water and whisk until egg mixture reaches 140 degrees on an instant-read thermometer. Transfer bowl to an electric mixer fitted with the whisk attachment, and whisk until mixture is thickened and forms ribbons.
3. Meanwhile, in the bowl of a food processor, combine 2 pints strawberries, remaining 1/2 cup sugar, lemon juice, and a pinch of salt. Pulse until finely chopped; set aside.
4. In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the whisk attachment, beat heavy cream until soft peaks form. Fold whipped cream into yolk mixture, along with 1/4 of the strawberry mixture, until well combined. Top the cake-filled molds with the yolk mixture, smoothing out the top so that it is even with the molds. Transfer to a freezer and freeze overnight. Refrigerate remaining strawberry mixture overnight.
5. Remove parfaits from freezer. Push strawberry parfaits from molds to remove, warm the molds with your hands, if necessary. Let parfaits stand for 20 minutes.
6. Cover the bottom of each of four dessert plates with remaining strawberry mixture; top with parfait. Dust with confectioners’ sugar and fan strawberry slices on top of parfaits; serve immediately.
YOUR FRIENDS, FAMILY, OR SPECIAL SOMEONE WILL REALLY BE IMPRESSED!!
- H. Luiz