No – you don’t NEED one, but you WANT one and here are the reasons why…
As best stated on the AMERICAN IMMIGRATION LAW FOUNDATION’s site:
An immigration lawyer can help you in the following ways:
- Analyze the facts of your case thoroughly.
- Explain all the benefits for which you may be eligible.
- Recommend the best ways for you to obtain legal status.
- Complete and submit your applications properly.
- Stay current on the new laws that affect you.
- Avoid delays and problems with your case whenever possible.
- Discuss the status of your case with you.
- Speak for you in discussions with the Department of Homeland Security or represent you in court.
- File necessary appeals and waivers.
- Utilize the system to your advantage because he or she has the experience to do so.
Immigration Lawyers are very helpful and affordable. Again, you do not NEED them, but trust me when I say you WANT them. Most self-completed applications and forms sent to the US Citizenship Immigration Services are denied because they are not properly filled out. Also, if there’s an issue, a lawyer’s experience can help you find the solution(s). Please – get a lawyer!